Because this Blog is updated regularly it is a good idea to visit at least once a week so as not to miss anything. If however you are not a regular visitor, please use the archive links, at the bottom of the side bar on the right, to view postings that have moved off the main page. Or type a key word in the search block in the black bar at the top left and click on "SEARCH BLOG" and it will take you to the posting within our Blog. (For instance, type "Jart" and all the post that mention Jart will open) The Label at the bottom of a post can also be used. Click to get all posts with the same label together!
This BLOG is best viewed at a screen resolution of 1024x768. Click here to get instructions on how to adjust your monitor to these settings.

Friday, February 09, 2007


The last mould is complete as I write this it is ready to open but as I dont need it until sunday I think Ill wait a little longer, remember epoxy generally takes 7 days for a full cure.

Photo 1 shows the plug being polished(ram release wax) and the edges built up around the splitter board, prior to gel coat, this mould needed 100gr of gel coat per side.

Here I have started glass cloth work again fine weave first, this starts the moment the gel coat has gone hard enough not to fingerprint when touched.

I lay up thick carbon tow 2 x 60k in the corners and the leading edge a bit extravagent normal
glass tows or even a mixture of flocks and resin could be used, the reason for this is the thick cloth wont bend into a 90 degree corner and will make bubbles.

I have marked the centre line in the mould with 1 x plastic tape so that when building and later cutting the tips in half I will have an easy reference. The layups are made with pieces of cloth cut into manageable sizes ,the final thickness is about 4 mm , fairly light but these moulds are not going to produce more than about 20 gliders, I would double that for serious production.

Here I have layed in slices of the remains of a foam wing outers after the cores that were cut with a hot wire, I glass these in and they add strength.

The mould is turned over and the splitter board removed, carefully as you do not wish to release the plug .The bottom of the mould is now made against the first half , again the edges are built up(these made this box shape rigid) release wax polish off and gel coat-glass-etc.

totally aside I have included the photos of the STILLETO production line.

Fuselage 1 yellow purple 410 gr stab 120 gr.
fuselage 2 yellow black red 380gr stab 90 gr

fuselage 3 red yellow 310gr stab 84 gr
moral of the story .........practice makes perfect and the lighter it is the more perfect.
Once again I welcome any comments , the end is in sight.

1 comment:

Piet Rheeders said...

Hi Mike,

I would just like to thank you for sharing you Stilleto building project with us on the BBERG blog.
The work, money and effort that you must have put in, must amount to many rands and a lot's of hours. I hope that your wife is still talking to you.
I personally can't wait for day when you set those beautiful shining wings ,free.

Your project has inspired me personally and I have found that the more you work with the composite materials the easier it becomes.