Because this Blog is updated regularly it is a good idea to visit at least once a week so as not to miss anything. If however you are not a regular visitor, please use the archive links, at the bottom of the side bar on the right, to view postings that have moved off the main page. Or type a key word in the search block in the black bar at the top left and click on "SEARCH BLOG" and it will take you to the posting within our Blog. (For instance, type "Jart" and all the post that mention Jart will open) The Label at the bottom of a post can also be used. Click to get all posts with the same label together!
This BLOG is best viewed at a screen resolution of 1024x768. Click here to get instructions on how to adjust your monitor to these settings.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Electric glider

The 2mtr electric assisted glider is almost complete, home built .. no ARF for me and it looks like a promising flyer,

the plane has been built of balsa and using conventional construction, a small amount of glass and epoxy resin was used around the nose to beef up the engine (sorry motor) bulkhead . The glider weighs 840 grams all up including the electric setup, radio and controls .

Next comes the part were the motor is run (I am no electric Guru) so approached this with a cautious logical test.

The motor ,gear box and prop were all tightened in place , the radio receiver, two servo's and speed controller, connected into the throttle port on the receiver and checked first that it was in the off /idle possition.

I switched the radio tx on and then connected up the Li-Po battery, which was fully charged.

Openning the throttle the motor sprang into life.... I ran it at full throttle for 1 minute and then shut it down, a quick feel of the motor and components indicated everything was still ice-cold a good sign.

Although the motor had a fair amount of thrust , I dont expect verticle performance but certainly enough to give a steady climb. The reason for this is probably the following, the radio program /model I selected was using this port for flaps and the full deflection was only 75 % , so the motor could rev 25 % more ,the gearbox ratio is also slowwing down the rpm. but Ill play it safe for now, and only try a bigger prop later.

Next test was more sustained running I ran the motor at full(75%) throttle for 6minutes and tested for heat , the motor got warm , now I ran for a futher 12minutes trying to flatten the battery . The motor only gets warm and was still running fine , no rev drop that I could hear.

The voltage feeding the receiver was checked with a multimeter at 5.06 volts.

So at this stage it looks ok for a test flight. What a relief ...NO MAGIC BLUE SMOKE..

For those experts out there who understand the (dark side) wonderfull electric scene this may seem a little basic , but its a beginners (me , myself , and I )guide to understanding electrics.

For the record the Li-po is a 3cell 1000mah 15c , the motor a Waikera inrunner 3250kv (I understand actually for a helicopter) the speed controller Bec 30amp Waikera, the prop a 9x5

folding. It all seems to work together ok, lovely for those early calm mornings on the slope or late afternoons, when the winch is already packed away.

I think it will become a favourite.

No comments: