Because this Blog is updated regularly it is a good idea to visit at least once a week so as not to miss anything. If however you are not a regular visitor, please use the archive links, at the bottom of the side bar on the right, to view postings that have moved off the main page. Or type a key word in the search block in the black bar at the top left and click on "SEARCH BLOG" and it will take you to the posting within our Blog. (For instance, type "Jart" and all the post that mention Jart will open) The Label at the bottom of a post can also be used. Click to get all posts with the same label together!
This BLOG is best viewed at a screen resolution of 1024x768. Click here to get instructions on how to adjust your monitor to these settings.



Monday, February 18, 2008

Speed Astir Trim and Decals

After the overall paint job the next step was to get some refernace material for making up decals. So on Saturday afternoon I jumped in my car and drove the 5km to Orient gliding club where I keep my real glider. Digetal cammera in hand I started going from hangar to hangar looking for Grobs to take pics of. I knew there were no Speed Astirs on the field so I would have to get the Grob logo and the lettering font off other Grob aircraft. The gliders I focused on were Grob 102 single Astirs and Grob 103 Twin Astirs.
















When I got home I downloaded the pics to my PC and imported them into Photoshop.
I cut away the background and cleaned up the logos.


























The next step was to print the logos in different font sizes, cut them out and place them on the modle till I came up with the right size logo.







































The final check for scale was made by compairing the mockup decal on the model to the photo taken of the real thing.













By taking lettering from othe Astirs I was able to make up the Speed Astir logo.




Mockup decals were again printed in different font sizes and checked on the model for scale.
















Comparisons were again made to the real thing to final check the scale of the logo.
















So now it is off to the printers to have the decals printed and while that is being done I will be spraying the orange trim on the nose, rudder and ailerons.

No comments: